Sunday, January 17, 2010

Today, I got up at 5:30 am so I could meet Karla at 6 for a long run. Once I drove out on the roads, it became obvious that ice may be an issue. At the rendezvous spot, I got out of the car and could barely walk on the parking lot. The whole world had a nice glaze of ice on it. It was foggy and humid with the temperature hovering right at freezing. We decided to head to the trail thinking that the pea gravel would not be slick. We were disappointed to find the trail still full of packed down snow that was pretty darn slick and scary too; so much for a real run outside. I headed for home happy to see my husband and daughter after missing them yesterday. I promised myself I would try and hit the gym at Allia's nap time for a “dread-mill” run.

Once home, James couldn’t wait to get outside and play in the woods (he missed his chain saw). So Allia and I had fun playing inside where it was dry and warm. Around 9, Zoe got up and started doing homework at the kitchen table. Allia sat at the table drawing with markers and I sat reading my Columbia Business Times. We made some pancakes for breakfast and had a nice morning together.

At nap time, I ran Zoe back to her dad’s and decided I would rather go home and see James then go to the gym for a jog. We had lunch together and then he got itchy to go back outside. Around 3 he came in for the day and after cleaning up, the three of us ran some errands. When we got back to the house, Allia was super hungry and asked for a hot dog. I put her up in her chair and she happily ate her hot dog and asked for more. I then decided to share a green pepper dipped in hummus with her. She really enjoyed the hummus so I let her spoon out the last few bites in the bottom of the container. She is getting pretty handy with a spoon now. She was so cute because she was so serious about her eating.


After dinner, we all cuddled and watched TV in bed. Allia was the first to fall asleep and James was not far behind her. I seized the moment and switched the TV to the Golden Globe Awards. This is the kind of thing us girls enjoy watching, but the husband would normally put the kibosh on. I was thrilled to see Meryl Streep get an award for Julie & Julia. She was so gracious and beautiful with her acceptance speech. I just love her! I saw Drew Barrymore win and then, well, I too fell asleep. I wanted to stay awake and watch so badly, but I just couldn’t do it.

No, I will not admit to getting old!!


3 comments:

Redhead Editor said...

MMmmmm. hot dogs. I swear, Girl, how do you wake up so early on the weekends and for something like running?

Judith Kaufman said...

I wake up early everyday......I am used to it. I am a morning person. We frequently fall asleep before nine, so it's not like it is cutting into my sleep.

CaraBee said...

Wasn't Meryl's speech the best?! I just love her. T-Bone!