Saturday, June 18, 2011

Race Report

It was the perfect temperature for running, but the persistent rain made it rather unpleasant as a few dozen racers headed out from the starting line of the Trekking for Kids annual 5K/10K race.

I felt pretty good as I settled into a groove but I was wishing I had a hat so that the rain would not hit my face. I picked up my pace a bit but was afraid to consult my Garmin and make decisions based on numbers. I hoped to just run as fast as I could and then see how I did when it was all over.

Near the end of lap one (5k) the girl in front of me took off and the one behind me passed me. I am sure they were “beating” me but I was not concerned. I was racing against my own time and felt if I went much faster I would run out of steam before the end.

At the half way point I noted it was not yet three mile so once again the course was short. The rain had finally stopped, but the wind had picked up and was brutal.

Next there was a large dog that bothered me for a while. He seemed overly friendly and I was very worried he would trip me as he was running back and forth around me.

I finally peaked at my heart rate and it said 172 so I knew I was working hard and was close to blowing up. I tried not to think about it and pressed on.

As I neared midpoint on my second lap, the wind was so bad that occasionally I had to fight to stay upright. Why is it that no matter where you run/ride there is more head wind than tail wind? Not once did it seem that the wind was helping on this course…..it was always at my face.

By now my right foot was having sharp pains so I decided to walk for a short bit since the wind almost had me at a standstill anyway. Curling my toes can really relieve the pain. I started running again but felt pretty drained.

As I neared the finish line I tried to give it my all and finished strong. Not just for my time, but because people are WATCHING you!

Total race was only 5.25 miles. My average pace was 8:32 and my average heart rate was 166. Second lap was a bit slower, but my heart rate was higher. I am blaming it on the wind.

I am satisfied with how I did but not thrilled. I would really like to get my pace closer to 8 minute miles.



Post race - Cherie and I.



I am demonstrating how windy the course was!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Oh how fun. Congrats on your race!!