Sunday, January 03, 2010

I woke up this morning knowing it was the last day of vacation and that tomorrow would be the start of a grueling work week. So, I decided to get a bunch of projects around the house accomplished. First up was getting our little storage closet down stairs back in order. In November, when Allia finally started going to day care 5 days a week, I took the big bed out of her room so there was more floor space for playing and toys. This full size bed was then placed in the storage area and thus blocking everything that had come before it.

I got up, drank my coffee and declared my intentions to my husband and asked if he would move the bed back out so I could make a place for it in the back of the closet. At this point I had allocated only an hour or two to this project.

He said he would be glad to help. In fact, for some reason, he got all fired up about organizing the basement and getting the storage area in tip top shape. He offered to build me some more shelves, but I told him I really didn’t think it was necessary. We drug the bed out and I got to work. He also started doing some cleaning, sorting and organizing of his man room. He offered to give me some help but I gently encouraging him to not take over my project.

I pulled all kinds of things out of the closet and started to sort and organize. There were a few boxes of kid’s books that I presented to Allia. I had stashed them when she was too small for really reading a story to because I thought she would just rip them up. I found some old VCR tapes and an old TV. We started a Goodwill, Salvation Army pile. I added some old clothes to that pile and an old purple quilt set that used to belong to Zoe.

I put some office supply type items upstairs in the new office and made a few empty bins to put some craft project stuff in. At some point, feeling guilty for having not allowed my husband to help, I told him it would be just dandy if he put a shelf in there. But I told him to put it up high, above my head, so I could store some long term stuff there in what would have been wasted space.

We threw a lot of stuff away too, filling at least one big black trash bag. I love getting stuff out of the house. It gives me a feeling that we are not accumulating too much junk.....not drowning in our material belongings. I figure if you haul stuff in on regular basis, you should haul stuff out just as much.

Before you knew it, it was lunch time and we were still not done. We stopped and had some stir fry and then Allia went down for her nap. James ran to the store and I finished up some more sorting. Once he returned, he put up my shelf and then started fussing that the Goodwill pile needed to be brought up stairs and that stuff was still not all put away. I had deemed it good enough and figured I would dot my I's and cross my T's another day. He's a slave driver!! We ended up spending all day on this project. It was dinner time when we finally got all done.

Then I started a crock pot and some laundry. We were exhausted by bed time but the basement is sparking clean and organized.

No comments: