Saturday, May 26, 2012

Go Girl Run Half Marathon

Saturday was my latest half marathon, an all girls race. The forecast was for temps well up into the 90s and the race director smartly moved the race start time up to 7:30 am to beat some of the heat.   I of course, had to do one last thing before I left the house so that I barely made it to the race on time. I pulled up, parked my car and got in line to start and less than a minute later we were on our way.

I spent the first mile trying to pass women jogging with their friends who were making human damns, some 4 or 5 people wide. I probably should have started more towards the front but what the heck did I know. I figure I am a middle of the pack runner so that is where I started.

After the first mile I found my place in the pack and settled in to a consistent run. Unfortunately I was already thinking that I was tired and uncomfortable. I just wasn’t having fun. Then I did some self talk and told myself that if I thought I was having fun I would. I tried to relax, listen to my music and just enjoy myself. It wasn’t too awful hot, but it was still way warmer than ideal running weather which in my opinion would be more like 40 degrees not 75.


At mile 6 James and Allia showed up to wave and take some photos. I was sure happy to see them.


By mile 10 I was really bogging down. The rest of the course involved a couple of good hills and I was rather dreading them. I kept reminding myself to just keep running and go slower if I needed to but don’t walk. By now I was in survival mode and it hurt whether I ran or not so I might as well just keep plugging along at a jog.

I actually got up and over the last hill better than I had done on my practice runs, which was a pleasant surprise. After that it was all downhill to the finish line. That is good for the attitude.



At the finish they handed us an etched wine glass, a finisher’s medal and a cold sponge. I really just wanted a drink of water.
My friend Cynthia showing off the finishers medal we received.

Next I enjoyed visiting with a few friends as I milled around the finish area waiting to get my official time (2:01:29) and rehydrating.   I finished 81 out of 621 overall and 6th in my age group out of 51 women.

The race directors were also nice enough to provide everyone with a complimentary ice cold smoothie if they presented their wine glass to be filled. I chose chocolate over berry and it totally hit the spot.

After about an hour I decided to head on my way and go to the grocery store as planned. As I was driving away I saw my friend Kelly coming in to the finish. She was on target to finish in about 3 hours. I marveled at how much guts it takes to be out there for 3 hours. Seriously, the ones that can knock out 13.1 miles quickly have it easy. The girls that labor for more than two hours out there on the course are the real heroes….that’s work.


No comments: