Thursday, July 17, 2008

You can double click and pop this open and see it bigger....it is the race results tracking.
2nd place by only 3 minutes!!

So, the boys made it home this morning around 6 am. I am SO relieved to know they are safe and sound. From what I understand, the team that beat them, did not have their lights on, so our team did not know that they were right there in front of them; otherwise they would have paddled a little bit harder and possibly won the race. I think such no lights tactic is against the rules.......Bummer :(

James could barely walk this morning because his rear end is extremely sore. He is also sun burned and completely exhausted as you would expect. When I left for work this morning they were all three sleeping; James, Slebos and Grandpa Gene.

I did a quick clean out of the car before I left. It was VERY stinky. I got all the wet clothes out and stuffed them in the washer. I got all the old food out and put it in the dumpster at work. I laid all the wet gear out in the sun so it would dry out. I would have run the SUV through a car was and vacuumed it out, but the canoe is strapped on top. I should have taken a photo.......the car even looked beat!

Grandpa Gene is the real hero of this race. He did the Herman pit stop at dinner time (Wed) then went on to Weldon Springs later in the evening, probably around mid night and finally picked the guys up at 2:30 in the morning (Thurs) in St. Charles. THEN…….he drove them all the way back to Columbia. All this after doing the night time check points on Tuesday night / Wednesday morning the day before!

We are proud of them all and SUPER glad they are home safe and sound.

No comments: