Monday, October 02, 2006



BEAUTIFUL DAY

Saturday morning I did my normal BodyPump class before heading out to meet Lori and Carol at Capen Park to do some top rope rock climbing. Carol recently purchased a rope (they are very expensive – over $100) so we were all excited to try it out. I also had a new harness I had recently purchased. We got off to a late start, thanks to a Mizzou football game that had traffic all kinds of blocked up. Then, in an effort to set the webbing up correctly, we fussed and fussed for a ridiculously long time and finally decided we were not too confident with our set up and called a friend with knowledge to come and check our work. We, of course had to make some corrections and then we were on our way. We climbed most of the afternoon and it was one of the prettiest days of the year. I was more than happy to be outside with crunchy leaves under my feet. I am the least experienced climber of the three of us so I struggled the most with the harder parts of the climbs. I am, however, now that I have fought my demons, bound and determined to do more climbing and get good at it again.

History:
Back in the spring of 2003 I was on a rock climbing vacation in El Paso Texas. We were bouldering at a place called Hueco Tanks. Very cool, check it out, www.huecotanks.com. The people who were spotting me did not have the crash mat directly under me and when I dropped back to the ground after doing my climb, my left foot landed directly on the rock surface and my heal basically exploded from the weight and pressure. I was left to climb down to the parking lot on my hands and one foot (not a pretty sight). Then, the following day confirmed it was broken at the local hospital and flew back to St. Louis. Talk about a bad ending to a vacation. Surgery followed and I now have a plate and 7 screws in my foot and a gruesome scar to show off. I was on crutches for over 2 months that summer and limping for many more months. I am only now starting to feel completely normal and not have pain or weakness in my left leg / ankle. My toes still do not bend, and probably never will, but it does not seem to be a big deal.

Saturday night, party & BBQ at Carol and Lori’s sweet duplex right down town and next to the MKT nature trail. The place has tons of hard wood floors, 3 bedroom and 3 full baths and stainless steel appliances. I love it. We had a good time, with good company and great food. Drank a bunch of beer………like always.

Sunday morning, I reported down town to do my duty as part of a relay team at the Columbia Half Marathon. I was fortunate to have the last leg of a three man team. I knew that I only had to go about 4 miles so I had decided that I would just run as fast as I could, to hell with pacing yourself if you only have to go 4 miles. Well, it was tough and I was hurting. Towards the end I was actually involuntarily grunting while I was breathing…….gross. I don’t know how fast I really ended up running because I forgot to bring my stinkin’ Timex GPS. Anyhow, our team, Derek, Beth and I finished 2nd in the co-ed teams and received a nice engraved coaster for our efforts. Best part of the day was when Ronnie came back and rode along side me giving me kind words of encouragement cause he could tell I was struggling. And when I finished, Derek didn’t think twice and gave me a huge hug despite the fact I was super sweaty and gross. I saw lots of friends and people I knew and really enjoyed the comradery of the whole event.

Sunday afternoon, I washed my car and then decided I needed a bike ride. I headed out on my road bike and found that I was worn out and the wind was kicking my ass. I cut the ride short and went home to eat and rest. I guess I can’t just go on forever like the Energizer Bunny.




No comments: